Jasprit Bumrah World Cup: India Cricket Team has received some positive news on the injury front ahead of the World Cup 2023. Jasprit Bumrah, the team’s star pacer, is set to make his comeback during India’s tour of Ireland. Bumrah has been out of action since September due to a lower back issue that required surgery. KL Rahul is also aiming to return to the field in the Asia Cup 2023. However, Shreyas Iyer, who underwent back surgery as well, is uncertain about the Asia Cup.
The selectors, along with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the National Cricket Academy, want to ensure a gradual return for Jasprit Bumrah before World Cup. Instead of immediately exposing him to the workload of a 50-over game, the team management plans to assess his fitness in T20 matches. India will play three T20s against Ireland on August 18, 20, and 23.
The primary objective is to regain Bumrah’s optimal fitness before the World Cup in 2023. However, considering his lengthy absence from cricket, the National Cricket Academy intends to take a cautious approach. Following the Ireland tour, India is scheduled to participate in the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka. This will mark Bumrah’s first 50-over assignment prior to the World Cup.
Timeline of Bumrah’s Injury
Here is a timeline of Jasprit Bumrah’s injury and recovery:
- July 2022: Bumrah reported a back problem after the 2nd ODI against England and missed the 3rd ODI. Subsequent consultations revealed a recurrence of the back injury he suffered in 2019.
- August 2022: Bumrah was unable to participate in the ODI series in the West Indies due to his recurring back issue and returned to the National Cricket Academy for treatment.
- August 2022: Bumrah was unable to recover in time for the Asia Cup and, consequently, was unable to participate.
- September 2022: After a two-and-a-half-month recovery period, Bumrah rushed his return for the South Africa series ahead of the T20 World Cup. Unfortunately, he aggravated the injury after bowling only 6 overs in two T20 matches.
- October 2022: Bumrah was ruled out of the entire T20 World Cup.
- November 2022: The pacer was unable to participate in the New Zealand tour.
- December 2022: Bumrah also missed the Bangladesh tour.
- January 2023: Initially named in the squad for the Sri Lanka ODI series, Bumrah was later withdrawn due to complaints of a stiff back at the National Cricket Academy.
- February 2023: Bumrah was ruled out of the Border Gavaskar Trophy.
- March 2023: Instead of participating in IPL 2023, Bumrah opted for back surgery in New Zealand.
- June 2023: Bumrah is currently undergoing rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy and has reportedly achieved 70% recovery. The Board of Control for Cricket in India hopes to have him back in action by the time of the Ireland tour. However, they will not take any risks or rush his return. Bumrah will only play against Ireland if he is fully fit.
Jasprit Bumrah Latest Update
To facilitate his recovery, Bumrah will play a few games at the National Cricket Academy next month and gradually increase his bowling intensity.
These matches will serve as a significant test for the pacer, assessing both his overall fitness and match readiness. If Bumrah successfully meets the challenges of bowling with flying colors, he will join the team in Ireland. Alternatively, if there are any concerns, he may directly feature in the Asia Cup.