The Women’s Premier League 2023 auction concluded in Mumbai on February 13. More than 400 players from all across the globe went under the hammer under the supervision of a female auctioneer Mallika Sagar. While there were many hits and misses during the WPL auction 2023, our purpose of this blog is to provide the readers a glimpse into what the full squads look like after the auction.
Below is the team-wise full squad strength of all 5 WPL franchises and the purse value that remains after the conclusion of the Women’s Premier League auction 2023.
|Team||Amount Spent (In INR)||Amount Left in Purse (In INR)||Players Bought|
|Bangalore||12 crores||Nil||Smriti Mandhana, Ellyse Perry, Sophie Devine, Richa Ghosh, Renuka Thakur, Erin Burns, Indrani Roy, Disha Kasat, Shreyanka Patil, Asha Shobana, Kanika Ahuja, Heather Knight, Preeti Bose, Dane van Niekerk, Komal Zanzad, Poonam Khemna, Megan Schutt, Sahana Pawar|
|Delhi||11.65 crores||35 lakhs||Jemimah Rodrigues, Shafali Verma, Radha Yadav, Meg Lanning, Shikha Pandey, Titas Sadhu, Alice Capsey, Tara Norris, Marizanne Kapp, Laura Harris, Jasia Akhter, Taniya Bhatia, Poonam Yadav, Minu Manni, Jess Jonassen, Sneha Deepthi, Aparna Mondal, Arundhati Reddy,|
|Uttar Pradesh||12 crores||Nil||Sophie Ecclestone, Tahlia McGrath, Shabnim Ismail, Alyssa Healy, Deepti Sharma, Anjali Sarvani, Shweta Sherawat, S Yashasri, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Kiran Navgire, Grace Harris, Lauren Bell, Laxmi Yadav, Devika Vaidya, Parshavi Chopra, Simran Shaikh|
|Gujarat||11.95 crores||5 lakhs||Ash Gardner, Sophia Dunkley, Annabel Sutherland, Beth Mooney, Harleen Deol, Sneh Rana, S Meghana, Georgia Wareham, Deandra Dottin, Mansi Joshi, Monica Patel, Tanuja Kanwar, Sushma Verma, D Hemalatha, Hurley Gala, Ashwani Kumari, Shabnim Shakil, Parunika Sisodia,|
|Mumbai||12 crores||Nil||Harmanpreet Kaur, Amelia Kerr, Pooja Vastrakar, Nat Sciver-Brunt, Yastika Bhatia, Issy Wong, Amanjot Kaur, Heather Graham, Dhara Gujjar, Hayley Matthews, Chloe Tryon, Saika Ishaque, Humairaa Kaazi, Priyanka Bala, Jintimani Kalita, Neelam Bisht, Sonam Yadav,|
WPL Auction 2023 Highlights
Here are some important highlights from the inaugural edition of the WPL 2023 auction –
- Team Delhi was the only team in this year’s Women’s Premier League auction which purchased a player from an Associate Nation in Tara Norris (USA). This will give them the freedom of playing 5 overseas players in the playing XI during the season
- The franchises were seen struggling with the purse value at the WPL 2023 auction compared to the recent IPL auction
- Smriti Mandhana became the highest-paid cricketer at the WPL auction on February 13 when she was bought by Bangalore for INR 3.4 crores
- All the franchises seemed to have set a target of INR 2 crores and thereabout for top Indian players
- Lack of data on the women cricketers due to a time crunch was visible among the franchises in the auction tables
- Indian all-rounders were in high demand at the recently concluded women’s premier league auction
- Mumbai Indians will now have both the national men’s and women’s team skippers playing for them this year in WPL and IPL
Surely there were some similarities between the IPL auctions of 2008 and the WPL 2023 auction but no one can dismiss the fact that February 13 was a huge landmark for women’s cricket from all across the globe. By the time the next WPL auction approaches, we are sure both the BCCI and franchises will have something more to offer in terms of planning and squad-building.