Being a global game, NBA has personalities from various nationalities, backgrounds, races and religions including Jehovah’s Witnesses, which is a form of a religious community of which several former NBA players are a part. In this blog, we will discuss the names of all ex-NBA players from the past and present who became a member of the Christian-based religious movement – Jehovah’s Witnesses.
But before we do that, we must understand the origins of this Christian-based religious movement and some important facts about it which will allow the readers to understand why the association of some ex-NBA players with Jehovah’s Witnesses has stirred up so much storm.
What are Jehovah’s Witnesses?
A Christian sect notable for their door-to-door evangelism, rigid commitment to the Bible, and distinctive beliefs and customs is the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Charles Taze Russell established the group in the United States in the late 19th century, and it now has more than 8 million active members worldwide. Jehovah’s Witnesses have a hierarchical organizational structure in addition to their beliefs and practices. Elders and governing bodies are in charge of the local congregations and the organization’s general operations. They organize frequent meetings and gatherings for their members and have their own Bible translations.
It’s important to remember that Jehovah’s Witnesses have faced debate and criticism over the years. They yet continue to be a unique and distinct Christian denomination with a sizable global presence.
Beliefs and Practices of Jehovah’s Witnesses
Listed below are some important beliefs and practices of the Christian group Jehovah’s Witnesses which will allow the readers to understand what their favorite NBA athletes are doing after joining this group –
- Jehovah’s Witnesses hold that there is only one God and that God is called Jehovah. They doubt the idea of the Trinity and hold that Jesus is a different, inferior being that God made.
- Jehovah’s Witnesses consider the Bible to be the only reliable source of religious guidance and the authorized word of God. They apply the literal interpretation of the Bible to all facets of their existence.
- Jehovah’s Witnesses are renowned for their ferocious door-to-door evangelism. They hand out information and discuss their ideas with others. They consider that Jesus gave them the directive to propagate the gospel.
- Even in life-threatening circumstances, Jehovah’s Witnesses refuse to accept blood transfusions or blood products. They think that accepting a blood transfusion would be contrary to the Bible’s prohibition against consuming blood.
- Politically indifferent, Jehovah’s Witnesses abstain from voting and political engagement. As a result of their conviction that Jesus instructed his followers to love their adversaries and refrain from hostilities. They also refuse to enlist in the military or bear arms.
- Premarital sex, homosexuality, and various types of extramarital sexual behavior are all against the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ rigorous moral code. Also, they abstain from activities like drinking, using drugs, and smoking.
- According to Jehovah’s Witnesses, the world is about to end and God will soon establish a new kingdom on Earth. They hold that the only people who will survive the approaching end of the world are those who are devoted to God and his teachings.
List of Ex-NBA Players Who are Jehovah’s Witnesses
Given below is the list of all the NBA players from the distant and recent past who are a part of this Christian sect called Jehovah’s Witnesses –