As many as 8 IPL franchises have picked up tenders to own Women IPL 2023 (WIPL) teams according to reports. The franchises that have picked WIPL team tenders are Chennai Super Kings, Mumbai Indians, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Kolkata Knight Riders, Gujarat Titans, Punjab Kings, Rajasthan Royals and Delhi Capitals. The remaining 2 franchises, RCB and LSG, are also expected to pick up tenders. In total, 15 companies have picked up the WIPL 2023 tender documents, reported a BCCI source.
The tender documents issued for the Women’s Indian Premier League 2023 teams consist of a list of 10 cities and venues. A single company can bid for multiple cities. The base price has not been set yet by the BCCI and the bid period will be for 10 years.
Women IPL 2023: When will BCCI Announce the Bid Winners?
The BCCI will announce the name of the bid winners on January 25 after it opens the sealed bids. The last date to submit queries regarding the bidding process was January 13. The companies have until January 23 to submit their bids to the BCCI for evaluation. The BCCI has partnered with a Mumbai-based law firm Argus Partners to evaluate the bids submitted by the companies. The last date to purchase tenders for WIPL teams is January 21.
WIPL 2023: Eligibility Criteria to Purchase a WIPL Team Tender
Listed below are the eligibility criteria that the companies must fulfill to purchase a WIPL team tender for the bidding process –
- The bidder’s audited net worth as n March 31, 2022, should be at least INR 1000 crores
- Companies falling under the joint ventures or consortiums categories are not eligible for the WIPL 2023 bidding process
- The BCCI is not obliged to accept the highest monetary offers to declare bid winners
- The bidder’s vision should be to promote the growth of women’s cricket in India
- The bidder should be financially secure, successful and stable to build a long-term franchise to participate in the Women’s Indian Premier League
- The bidder must ensure to attract a wide range of audience for WIPL
- The bidder must assist in the development of Women’s cricket at all levels in India
- The bidder must provide maximum exposure to each official sponsor of WIPL
Although the BCCI has not finalized the dates for the inaugural season of the Women’s Indian Premier League in 2023, the tender says it will be conducted in March. According to sources, WIPL 2023 is expected to be conducted between March 05 and 23, 2023.