With the IPL 2023 auction scheduled to take place on December 23, 2022, in Kochi, all eyes are on those foreign players who will be in high demand by the 10 franchises. The upcoming IPL mini-auction will be a one-day showdown where the franchises will battle it out to fine-tune their final squad before the cricket mania begins next year. All the teams have submitted their list of retained players to the IPL committee on November 15, 2022. In combined, the teams have retained 163 players and released 85 which included IPL legends like Dwayne Bravo, Kane Williamson, Ajinkya Rahane, Keiron Pollard and more.
Although there is still some mulling over the IPL 2023 mini-auction date, as the teams will be left without their key foreign personnel (owing to Christmas), the event, like the previous years, is expected to be grand one.
Which Foreign Players are Expected to be in High Demand?
According to trusted sources, the need of the hour for most of these participating teams is a world-class all-rounder. Names like Sam Curran, Ben Stokes and Cameron Green are expected to create huge roars amongst the franchises come the auction day. In addition to these players, the English leggie Adil Rashid is also expected to grab the eyeballs in the upcoming auction (owing to his performance in the recently concluded T20 World Cup).
How Much Amount can Each Team Spend?
The franchises will participate in the IPL XV mini-auction with the amount left from the previous mega auction held in February 2022. Additionally, they will have an extra amount of INR 5 cr on top the money they saved by releasing players from their squads. The detailed purse value breakup of all the IPL franchises has been given below –
|Team Name||Purse Value (In INR)|
|Chennai Super Kings||20.45 cr|
|Delhi Capitals||19.45 cr|
|Gujarat Titans||19.25 cr|
|Kolkata Knight Riders||7.05 cr|
|Lucknow Supergiants||23.35 cr|
|Mumbai Indians||20.55 cr|
|Punjab Kings||32.20 cr|
|Rajasthan Royals||13.20 cr|
|Royal Challengers Bangalore||8.75cr|
|Sunrisers Hyderabad||42.25 cr|
Now to some highlights as to why Ben Stokes, Sam Curran and Cameron Green can be in high demand in the IPL 2023 mini-auction.
- Has participated twice in IPL auctions before and each time successfully breached the 10 cr mark
- He is a quality player who can contribute in all the departments of the game
- His innings in the final of the T20 World Cup 2022 will add to his value for teams looking for a genuine leader whom others can look up to in tough situations
- Already among those top all-rounders who have created quite the buzz every time he has participated in an IPL auction
- An all-phase bowler who can bring wickets at the top, middle and death overs with his swing and other skills
- Was the player of the tournament in the recently concluded ICC T20 World Cup 2022 where he picked up 13 wickets in 6 games at an impressive average of 11.38 and an economy rate of 6.52
- Very handy with the bat and can make important contributions at crucial stages of a game
- What caught the attention of the IPL franchises was Green’s exploits at the top of the order in the absence of David Warner during Australia’s recent tour to India
- He is only 23, so any franchise who can rope him can atleast be assured of a considerable time with them
- His ability to score quickly and extract pace and bounce due to his height are the most glistening features that could attract a fat check
The heat’s getting up everyone! We are eagerly waiting for the IPL 15 mini-auction to kickstart and see the fortunes of some players change in a few moments.